Thursday, May 05, 2005

just call me betty crocker

what do you do at 10pm at night???
get ready for bed? watch a little t.v? maybe read a book? if your lucky get lucky?
well in our house it seems we cook! who bakes a cake at 10pm at night??? especially one that has to be in the oven for over an hour... me, thats who. it just so happens that my dad (we are too much alike) decided that 10pm is a perfect time to pickle olives.

now our kitchen is pretty big. the stove is in the middle on an island so 2 people can comfortably cook at one time. and there is plenty of bench space. only dad and i are the kind of people that for eg. i'm cooking, then the kitchen is mine! so at 10pm we are arguing over who has the right to use the kitchen.
[me] dad i'm trying to bake a cake
[dad] i'm trying to make olives
[me] i have to bake this cake, i'm taking it to someone's house for dinner tomorrow and i'm working 9-5. it has to get done now!
[dad] i have to get these in the jar cos i want to eat them tomorrow
[me] just let me get it in the oven and you can do it then
[dad] its my kitchen
[me] not when i'm cooking its not
[dad] its my kitchen
[me] dammit!

so 10:30 rolls round and i finally have access to the kitchen, go to the draw to pull out the cake tin and nothing...
[me] mum wheres the cake tin???
[mum] ali has it (my brothers girlfriend)
[me] dammit
*rings joe and drives to his house to get the cake tin*... ya see, i'm all determined to bake this cake now.

so now its nearly 11pm and i'm mixing things in the bowl. i have my cake tin and all is good when i go to the pantry for bi-carb soda... and nothing...
[me] OMG where is the bi-carb??????? there was a WHOLE BOX... it's a STAPLE!!!
[dad] breath... breath... *goes through the entire pantry for it*.. we did have some
[me] am i going to have to go to bi-lo for it?
[dad] you could wake mum up, but i wouldn't... she might kill you.
now there's an incentive!

so i drove to bi-lo for half a teaspoon of bi-carb soda... at 11pm at night. to bake a bloody cake. it wasn't about the cake anymore though, i started it and i wanted to finish it.

now it's nearly midnight and i have another 45 mins till its ready. this better be one damn good cake.

UPDATE: i was up until about 2am waiting for the cake to cook (apparently it was over 2 hours, not 1 hour in the oven) but it turned out pretty good. i thought it wasn't quite mudcake consistancy (even though it was damn heavy according to B) but for my first attempt cooking a mudcake it was good.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jessica said...

how did your cake turn out?

12:03 pm  
Blogger nat said...

according to dinner hosts and other guests, its was really good. the true test is getting it past my mum though - cause she isn't likely to be so polite. but through sprays of chocolate crumbs and 'mmmmmmmmmm's she said it was great too.

10:24 am  
Blogger Lou said...

..it was real good!!!! Mudcake has never tasted better.

1:05 pm  
Blogger Bernie said...

After recovering from a bout of 'Chocolate abuse', it was pretty DAMN good!!!!

9:33 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home